Monday, February 9, 2009

Ryan Leslie

I just got my hands on Ryan Leslie's self-titled, official debut album. It's scheduled to drop tomorrow, Feb 10th...RUN TO YOUR NEAREST MUSIC DISTRIBUTOR and PICK IT UP. This album is so smooth. OK, so we know he's a genius of the highest caliber, graduating from Harvard University at the age of 19, but he is not your typical nerd.

He writes his own music, makes his own beats, plays a bazillion instruments, and I love him. A little bit. Ryan Leslie intros with "Diamond Girl" (Leslie's 2007 single), starting the album off with a head nodding beat. Then, Cassie and Fabulous are featured in "Addiction", which is one of the sexiest tracks. If I had to pick one song. Well, I simply couldn't. BUT, I could pick two. "Valentine" and "Gibberish" are my favorite. The latter of which, literally, is gibberish. He manages to make brilliant music out of nonsense. It ran the risk of being whack, but it's ingenious. Hah, and regardless of how badly you want to sing along, you can't--because he's not saying actual words. And, the former is an uplifting ballad that is reminiscent of an '80s teen movie or something. I picture Molly Ringwald. I think it's the electric piano. But, don't misinterpret me, Ryain Leslie is a definite R&B album. It's the artist's encorporation of styles from different genres that makes the listening that much more flavorful. For example, this could just be me, but I get hints of John Mayer-esque rhythms in "You're Fly" and "Quicksand". You can tell me when you hear it...

The theme of the album is absolutely appropriate for the up-coming holiday. Leslie sings about his love for a woman, or for all we know, several, who may be his fwb (friends with benefits), source of heart-break, or potential soul mate. Whatever the case, Leslie produced a series of serenades that makes hitting the stop button simply hard to do.

Or is it just me? Listen and let us knowww.....

Ryan Leslie's Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ryanleslietv?blend=1

1 comment:

  1. I discovered RLes from his YouTube channel sometime last year... the guy seems pretty cocky but he's talented as hell. His videos (along with some others) inspired me to go out and get my own midi keyboard to start producing my own music.

    ReplyDelete