Monday, February 16, 2009

Ultimate Hip-Hop Line Up

Imagining that I had some cosmic power to pull together my choice of the three greatest hip-hop artists of all time for the grandest performance for mankind, I'd want to showcase the diversity and evolution of this specific genre, which has undergone much change. Frankly, I don't think I could do hip-hop justice. First, I have only sampled so many artists and so many of their techniques. There is too much talent to begin with, so much to rhyme about, so much to say. Second, hip-hop is quite an American genre. Its roots are in African American music, and according to wiki, is based on a quasi-nomadic group of West Africans known as griots who functioned as a keeper of oral history. And, since my roots come from much further away, I'm constantly trying to keep up with two worlds. That is, because my interests lie in both.
Regardless, simply put, hip-hop began as poetry and spoken word. Now, it is that, and much more. It is beat dropping. Hell, even trou-dropping (fo the hos out there). It's swagger-ridden. It's auto-tuned. And, in constant transition.

I am no expert in hip-hop; only a fan who is straying away from mainstream and struggling to find the good stuff. I'm sort of lost without a dealer. I can't sustain the highs from witty wordplay, meaningful rhymes and flawless flows on my own discoveries.

But, as my assignment suggests, I must choose three, granted the limited knowledge that I have.
Ok fine.

The opener...The Jigga Man--Hova, himself--Jay-Z






















The mid...Biggie



The headliner...Lauryn Hill


Damn, that was hard. If you can call out a better line up, please be my guest, but um, it might be impossible.

2 comments: